|Tofu Bubble and Chinese Cabbage
Ingredients and Preparation:
- One package of fried soybean cake (8 oz.)
- One Chinese cabbage (fat, crisp, white big flowery leaves).
Celery cabbage, which is a cousin of Chinese cabbage, can be
substituted, but is more longitudinal like celery.
- One handful of dried Chinese mushrooms (optional).
Use between four to eight or more, depending on the size and quality of the mushroom and the generosity of the cook. These mushrooms are about $15/lb., but are very light in weight. When we experimented with this dish, Grandma did not use mushrooms and the dish still turned out very tasty. When serving guests, using mushrooms shows your hospitality.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons light-colored soy sauce
If you have any recipes and "Grandma" experiences to share, please send us an e-mail at
- Soak the fried soybean cake in cold water. They will expand and soften a little.
- Separate the leaves and cut the cabbage lengthwise into two or three sections.
- After washing the mushrooms in cold water, soak them in a bowl of warm water for at least half an hour until they turn soft. Save the soaking water to add to the dish during cooking after running it through a paper strainer. [However, there may be some solid particles (sand, dirt, seeds, fragments, inhabitants?) sinking to the bottom; try to avoid them when using the water. Do not worry if some of the stuff accidentally gets into the cooking; no one ever gets sick from them. You will never even know they are there.]
- Add two tablespoons of cooking oil to the wok. Wait until the
oil is hot and has lost some of its viscosity.
- Place the cabbage into the pot. Stir quickly, letting the hot oil touch as many leaves as possible. (You should hear a nice noise
as a protest of the hot oil against the intrusion of cabbage.
If your stove is good, the noise is longer. Otherwise the
noise dies in 5 seconds.)
- Carefully add a splash of water and cover the pot for 30 seconds.
- Place the fried soybean curd into the wok. Add 3/4 cup of
water, salt (according to your taste), and light-colored
- Add the mushrooms, its soaking water, and just enough water to
cover the cabbage.
- Simmer 15 minutes.